West

For people looking to get into an MMO RPG Should you play WoW Classic now that it's out, or something else?

Now that WoW Classic is out, is it worth playing if you’ve never played it before? Sometimes people have rose-tinted glasses when remembering how good a show, movie, or a game really was.

So, to be more specific, for people who haven’t experienced it yet, do you think people should play World of Warcraft Classic to get the purest experience of what an MMO RPG is or is there another game that would be a better way to spend their time and why?

I'm not a big MMO player, so this is difficult for me. But I will gladly speak from ignorance.

I honestly think that there is no reason to play WoW classic unless you want to experience what WoW was like before or want to go on a nostalgia trip. What makes WoW classic charming (i.e. everything being clunky and ugly) is not a selling point to people who have a general interest in MMOs. If I was looking to get started in an MMO, I'd be looking for something that's free and refined; not an outdated reboot of a game that matters only to past players and "videogame historians".

Someone please correct me if any of my assumptions are grossly incorrect, though.

I’ve never actually played any MMOs, but in general with games I would recommend playing the new stuff and getting used to that then go back to see the older stuff if you’re interested, can’t speak for WoW tho

One of the good arguments I've heard so far is that it feels good to start at ground zero with everyone else being at the same rank. So people feel they are more in it together. (Then again as the days go by that fact is going to change because of the people who are playing around the clock)

I'll start with an unhelpful answer: You should have played wildstar while you had the chance ! *mutter*

I disliked WoW Classic - the game has improved massively in the meantime.

Specific recommendation would be FFXIV. I've played a bit of that, it seemed to have some clever mechanics and a good story. I have several friends who absolutely love it.

My broader recommendation would be anything that has a City of Heroes style "sidekick" system, so players of different levels can play together.