chiggin

A Casual's Quick Review of Skyrim

When it comes to video games, I'm not necessarily what one would consider "good"-- quite frankly, I don't care to be. When I play games, I generally just do it to have a good time with my friends or to pass the time; I don't care how my performance stacks up against others. There is, however, one game that has been different for me in that regard. Bethesda's "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" changed my perspective on games during my first play through, and even now, as I'm on my third play through (this time doing a sort of dual-run with my significant other) I realize how much I love this game and the way it allows me to be good. 

I'm not here to tell you much about the story, as I've seen so many people and reviewers talk about how good/bad the story is. If you're like me, you don't really care so much about the story. While I think it's good enough to keep you interested and entertained, I don't think that it's the biggest selling point of Skyrim. What keeps me so enthralled and wanting to come back for more is the world and how easy it is. 

The world is, in my opinion, absolutely beautiful. Yes, there are many other games that have been produced in the last few years that are objectively better in visual quality and sheer size, but as far as  being the perfect size and "explorability" Skyrim is king. The Skyrim map is just the right size, as it's not so big that traveling to places you haven't discovered (or even traveling hold to hold) is tedious. Also, in order to keep it exciting, the enemies you meet (wolves, trolls, giants, bandits, etc.) along the way challenge your ability to snap out of whatever staring-state you're in and go directly to combat. I personally also really like the ability to "cheat the map". I like being able to slide down vertical rock faces by holding back on the controller and jump up near vertical cliffs by jumping and zig-zagging your way up. I know that it's technically a flaw, but I can be lazy and sometimes those mountain ridges are ALWAYS in the way of where I want to go (I mean, who wants to walk all the way around the mountain when going from Whiterun to Ivarstead?). 

Going off of the ability to cheat the map, I like how easy Skyrim can be. With the third play through that I'm working on, I use one-handed weapons (swords) and my partner uses two-handed weapons (battle-axes) and both of us can insta-kill low level enemies (like draugr and bandits) despite basically having just started. It bothers him, but I honestly love it. I, as a casual, don't want to have to die a thousand times just to complete a quest. There are so many possible quests that it's not like the game needs you to struggle for a while on any one particular quest. On my previous play throughs I've been able to destroy giants and trolls by level 35, which I feel indicates a pretty easy timeline considering how difficult those guys are to defeat early game. I can see where someone who really wants a game to be challenging may find Skyrim too easy. For me, and others like me, it's perfect. If you want a game where you can both play casually and absolutely wreck enemies at a low level, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim may be the game you want to try. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 12.50.12 PM.png

• Like 1